Production ManagerTHIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
The Production Manager oversees the entire production process ensuring deadlines are met in an error-free environment for all products produced by Coast Publishing Ltd. Day to day the Production Manager will be responsible for scheduling and laying out the print pages, managing advertising artwork, uploading to the website, branding, photo assignment, printing the newspaper, special events, and third party design. This is a job that takes a lot of different planning skills and design software confidence.
Salary range $41k - $50k, full-time
This role is based in Halifax
• Coordinate across departments to ensure publications are printed on time and that projects are executed successfully including working with the sales and editorial departments on the planning and implementation of print and online projects.
• Monitor production timetables for all Coast Publishing products and ensure each milestone is being met and addressed, keeping the Publisher along with the editorial and sales teams apprised of process and revisions on timelines.
• Address concerns, reoccurring mistakes and provide solutions for ad artwork. Maintain a regular meetings with the sales department to work through ongoing production/client relationships and lingering problems.
• Work with editors to set copy deadline schedule and stay in close communication to make adjustments each week to allow for steady copy flow on the website and in the newspaper.
• Liaison with printer about any printing or scheduling problems.
• Liaison with CMS to troubleshoot problems and down time on website.
• Ensure all creative has passed through proper approval channels before publishing.
• Manage and schedule external projects and clients.
• Monitor Adobe Creative Cloud to make sure production machines are up to date and running at full capacity.
• You must have completed one post-secondary education year or are a recent post-secondary graduate
• Proven ability to report thoroughly, write well, synthesize and organize information
• Reporting experience outside school assignments and a demonstrated commitment to journalism as a career
• The pace may be hectic so must be able to work quickly with accuracy
• Must be an excellent communicator and collaborator. This means you will be making cold calls, calling officials and looking for sources outside of your own circle of people.
• Passion for journalism and story telling
Please email your resume, a few samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a rolling deadline until the right candidate is hired. Please include subject line PRODUCTION MANAGER 2021.
About The Coast
The Coast is an independently owned digital-first news outlet, supported by and responsible to its community. Publishing since 1993.
The Coast is committed to maintaining an inclusive workplace that respects the dignity of every individual. We are committed to ensuring equity, diversity, inclusiveness and accessibility in our hiring practices and workforce. Telling stories about Halifax and all the city’s communities means we need a newsroom that has a broad range of perspectives. We strongly encourage people with disabilities, BIPOC and GNC candidates to apply.
The Coast is essential media for Kjipuktuk/Halifax. Through, fearless, fact-based journalism we provide a way in for citizens to find community, disrupt systems that govern us and show up for local culture. We are responsible to our readers and membership who share our belief that a free and independent press can build a just and thriving city.
Story first The Coast values good writing, and the craft of journalism. We work in complexity–not in silos. We believe in the power of words to heal, inform and excite.
Pride of place The Coast believes that Halifax is the best city in Canada. When we foster a geographic identity of where we live, who lives here and the history of place we can better understand each other. Our stories are grounded in unceded Mi’kma’ki.
Collaboration and teamwork We are our best when we work in collaboration and value each member of our team for how they serve our mission.